Okay, for anyone who forgot, the school applications deadline to apply for a Primary School for the small people is this coming Monday 15th January. If you haven’t done yours yet, don’t worry it only takes a few minutes, and I’m happy to excuse you while you dart off to get it done now (but do come back!)
And I understand it, all boroughs are different in their requirements and how many preferences you can specify. Ours (Wiltshire) allows 3 preferences, and allows a reason to be given for the preference too. So if your reason is that a sibling is already at the school, you can specify that (of course whether that makes a blind bit of difference is questionable!)
I didn’t particularly want to put a 3rd choice, because our first 2 are the only ones we were 100% happy with, but because I completed the application online it wouldn’t let me submit it without the 3rd preference. I chose a school that I know is fab, but is a bit further to walk (I’ll deal with the ‘walking tantrum’ issue if it ever comes to it!)
If you’re reading this and the deadline has already passed, don’t panic because you still have time to get your place sorted (although you might not have as much of a say in terms of preferences).
Below is a list of useful dates if your child is starting school this year.
15 January 2018
- All paper and online applications must be received by midnight.
16 April 2018
- Letters are posted out to all parents who applied by the 15 January 2018 deadline offering them a place at one school
- Parents who apply online will be able to log back on to the online system on national offer day to view the outcome of their application, you will require your username and password which was created at the time of application. It is important that you keep these details safe as the school admissions team are not able to send duplicate emails to you confirming these details.
2 May 2018
- Deadline for parents to accept the place they have been offered (If you do not respond by this date, we will assume that you do not want the place and it will be offered to another applicant)
- If you have been refused a place at your preferred school you can appeal.
- Waiting lists are set up
31 May 2018
- Late applicants (second round applications received between 16 January 2018 and 23 April 2018) will be considered alongside any applicants who were refused in the first round.
- Late applicants (third round applications received after 23 April 2018) will be considered alongside any applicants who were refused in the first round and second round
- Appeals are heard
31 August 2018
- Any applications received after this date will be considered as in-year transfer applications
The babies all start school!!