Kim’s Cat Soup (Katsu) Chicken earned it’s name after a relative of mine totally misheard what I was making for dinner one night!
This particular meal works well for everyone; it includes Amelia’s absolute fave; crunchy chicken. It has a bit of spice for me and Wills (in the sauce), and it’s one of Mr C’s faves too.
The sauce is really quite simple to make, and quite often I make it around lunchtime and simply reheat it on the hob when it’s needed. We’ve kept it in the fridge overnight and it has reheated perfectly.
Cost Per Person
For the chicken
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 2 slices wholemeal bread (whizzed into breadcrumbs)
For the sauce
- ½ tsp garlic
- 1-2 tbsp medium curry powder (to taste)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 500ml water
- Follow the recipe for Amelia’s crusty chicken here
- Put all of the sauce ingredients in a pan on a medium heat.
- Bring to the boil and thicken, stirring continuously.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve drizzled over crunchy chicken and plain boiled rice
Do’t be put off if your sauce doesn’t seem thick enough after 5 minutes. It tends to thicken more as it cools slightly. If you feel it needs to be thicker, add another ½ tsp of cornflour.
This is one of those meals that can usually be pulled together using things you mostly have laying dormant at the back of your cupboards. For that reason, it’s an ideal one for the week before payday, or the day you were supposed to do the food shop but ended up getting thrown up on a by a toddler instead.
I’d love to hear how you get on if you try this recipe, and if your kids love it as much as mine! Let me know what you think, or if you have any variations – I’m always up for new ideas!