On Monday I talked about leaving my job and choosing to stay at home with the kids. I haven’t fully come to terms with my new role in the family yet. I still have days when I feel like I’m lazy, like I should be doing more. Days when I feel crappy for not bringing in any money, when I miss the feeling of providing.

I’m At Home, He’s At Work

Blogging aside, and no matter how much I try to swing it in my mind, that’s the reality for us right now. At 9am Mr C takes himself up the office and does a day’s work, while I stay with the kids.

We do a lot during the day, and I rarely sit down! I’d be lying if I said being at home with my kids isn’t a way better option than going to work in the morning. But I’d also be lying if I said being at home is always fun and always easy. There’s no room for laziness when you’re at home with young kids. Lazy days always descend into chaos within minutes, it’s just not worth it!

Changing Roles

I have always enjoyed the schedule and routine of work, and I guess that’s why I set myself blogging targets throughout the day. I do little bits when I can, and then really focus my energy on it in the evenings.

Whether I like it or not, during the day my new role is essentially housewife. We’ve always shared chores equally depending on our work situations, so when I was working loads Mr C did more at home and vice versa. The housework during the day is part of my new role, but that’s not to say that Mr C doesn’t still have to do his fair share!

To be honest, he’s great (most of the time!) He pulls his weight around the house, and is definitely the tidier of the two of us. Once 5pm hits, any household chores are equally split. I do what I can during the day, but whatever is left after 5 is shared. Sometimes there’s a lot, sometimes not much at all. The reality of being a grown up and a parent of small kids is that there are always chores to do, whether you’ve been at work all day or not!

As Things Stand Right Now, I'm A SAWAHM Stay And Work At Home Mum And While I Have More Freedom It Can Be Just As Much A Juggling Act As When I Was Working Out Of The Home Being A Stay At Home Mum

Something For Me

I have actively chosen to stay at home for a while, but I honestly don’t think I could do it without the blog to give me a purpose other than mum.

I never would have described myself as particularly maternal, and never in a million years would I have thought that I would be happy to stay at home. I was career driven beyond reason before I had kids. But I do feel like something has shifted, like my purpose in life has changed. Simplicity and slowing down suddenly feels so much more important than it ever did before.

We’re Equal… Aren’t We?

The truth is, we’re both less knackered now. Neither of us has to commute to work anymore, which means both of us get up later than we used to. It means we get to enjoy all our mealtimes together as a family, and it means the kids are getting way more time with both of us. Not only are they getting more time, but they’re getting better time, because we’re both less stressed and less tired which makes us better parents.

Being at home, in that sense, is way easier than what we were both doing before. Sometimes being at home is more fun than when I was at work, that’s true. But rest assured, I’m not sitting on my backside all day! Mealtimes aren’t happening as if by magic, I get less coffee breaks, no lunch break, and the remuneration sucks!

Right now, though, I wouldn’t change our lives.

At Home Full Time: Why I Chose What I Thought I Never Would – Part 2

18 thoughts on “At Home Full Time: Why I Chose What I Thought I Never Would – Part 2

• September 11, 2017 at 7:34 am

Sounds like it’s going well though, despite the lack of breaks. I can imagine how tiring it is but the later wake ups sound glorious to me. It’s really interesting to read about the other side as I am like you and quite career focusd but since having my son I want more of a balance now. Thanks so much for sharing with #StayClassyMama!
    The Mum Project recently posted…A Work Life Blend?My Profile

• September 7, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Ah I could have written this! I left work over a year ago now to be a SAHM and I was always into my career pre kids. But yep something changed me too. I definitely don’t find it easy, especially as my toddler gets older and needs more entertaining. She goes to nursery one day a week and I blog or volunteer in that time and without it I’d go crackers. I really nee the break and the rest! #ablogginggoodtime

• September 7, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Amelia’s always been at nursery, so she’s been climbing the walls at home since we moved! Thankfully she’s starting a new one in a couple of weeks for 2 days a week 🙌🏼

• September 5, 2017 at 6:47 pm

Such a great post. Like you, I’d struggle without a blog if I didn’t work, that’s actually why I started my blog in the first place! You’re so right though, it’s not an easy job. Thanks for linking up to #fortheloveofblog x
    kelly edwards recently posted…For the love of blog week 15My Profile

• September 5, 2017 at 6:28 am

I’ve been a SAHM for almost 7 years now. It’s certainly not an easy option, but I love it. I love knowing my kids inside out and knowing that I am always there if and when they need me. Blogging has helped because it means I can contribute a little financially from the comfort of my living room, but it’s hard to find the balance – I worry about blogging when the kids are there because I’m not at home to blog – I’m at home to look after them. I’m glad you’re enjoying it and it’s great that your partner still sees that he needs to help with the chores #ablogginggoodtime
    Lucy At Home recently posted…Rainy Days: Four Toys from What2Buy4KidsMy Profile

• September 5, 2017 at 7:20 am

I’m the same with blogging… I think there needs to be a balance otherwise I’d end up spending as little one with my kids as I was before xx

• September 1, 2017 at 8:18 am

Just because you’re at home, doesn’t mean you’re sitting around, chilling around, watching movies all day!

My mum has been a ‘housewife’ for 20 years and she is always busy sorting things out, doing paperwork, doing chores, etc. #ablogginggoodtime

• September 1, 2017 at 8:50 am

Totally agree! I can’t remember the last time I actually watched TV of any sort let alone a whole film!!

• August 31, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Being at home with then children isn’t always easy but it is so worth it. It is great that you have more time together as a family.
    #fortheloveofBLOG
    Ali Duke recently posted…My Daily Make Up RoutineMy Profile

• August 31, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Oh totally, I missed so much with Amelia going back to work full time so quickly, so I know how lucky I am now xx

• August 31, 2017 at 10:28 am

Being a stay at home mum can have its moments. But it is really rewarding. We are lucky these days to have the choice. More power to us! #StayClassyMama

• August 31, 2017 at 11:20 am

It really is so rewarding! And I think you’re totally right, how lucky we are!x

• August 31, 2017 at 8:57 am

That’s a great idea! It’s all about finding what works isn’t it?!x

• August 31, 2017 at 8:20 am

I was sure I’d be a SAHM and I just couldn’t do it – much prefer having a work life and a home life. I give ALL OF THE THANKS that we live in a society that (mostly) lets us make our own choices. Hope our daughters will have less battles to fight than us. #stayclassymama

• August 31, 2017 at 8:23 am

It’s funny isn’t it?! I was certain I’d HATE being at home, and there are definitely days that I do! But on the whole I’m enjoying being at home so far… it’s early days, so we’ll see how long I last! Totally agree that we have way more options now than our own mums, and it’s up to us to keep pushing for even more for our girls!xx

• August 31, 2017 at 6:18 am

Being a stay at home mum is definitely no walk in the park and I struggle with the idea that I’m not contributing financially. At the same time, we know it’s what is best for us and our kids at this time and are fortunate enough to be in a position that makes it possible. Starting my blog last year really helped give me back a part of me that was missing and I wouldn’t change things for the world x
    #fortheloveofBLOG
    Alana – Burnished Chaos recently posted…#funseekingkids Week 22 Round-UpMy Profile

• August 31, 2017 at 7:47 am