This weekend we were down in the West Country checking out our new house, and visiting family for my birthday. The kids had so much fun, and I’ve been thinking about how important kids freedom is. We are so lucky that my sister and brother-in-law live on and run a beautiful farm, complete with huge amounts of land, pigs, chickens, and a veg patch! This meant that, while we were there, the kids had pretty much all the freedom to explore that they could possibly need. Continue reading “Let The Kids Have Freedom: Our Weekend In The West Country”
I’m not really one to get excited about birthdays, but today is indeed my 29th birthday! It’s not so much that I’m not big into birthdays, I’m just not big on attention full stop (the woman bearing herself & family for all and sundry on a thousand social media platforms. Yup, that’s me. Not big on attention.) I cringed the whole way through the kids and my colleagues singing me happy birthday on Wednesday, and it makes me feel so guilty because I must come across as a totally ungrateful bitch!
It hasn’t, however, escaped my notice that I am entering the very last year of my 20’s, and like many more before me I can quite safely say that at (nearly) 30 I am happier, more secure, and more confident than I have ever been. So I decided to write a list of 10 things at 29 that I am totally happy about!
- I’m confident in my own skin. Throughout my teens and well into my 20’s, I always HATED my body. I hated everything about it, and it is only really now in the last year or so that I have come to a place in my life where I feel totally confident about both the way my body looks, and what it has achieved.
- I feel like my family is complete. After being told that the chances of having any children after Amelia were slim, the addition of Wills to our unit feels like such a blessing.
- We are moving out of London. I seriously believe that this is going to be the best move we ever make, for all of us.
- I have zero tolerance for bullshit or toxicity. I spoke to a close friend today about this, and I am totally at a stage in my life when anything of the sort just gets brushed aside. I don’t have time for that shit!
- I don’t care what people think of me anymore. I’ve always felt quite self conscious and worried about how I am perceived by others. These days, though, I literally couldn’t care less!
- I’ve discovered make-up. This is probably an odd one for as nearly-30-year-old, but literally it’s only been in the last year or so that I have embraced any kind of make-up beyond mascara and eyeliner. I think it stemmed from a lack of confidence in knowing how to apply it!
- I’ve finally lost the weight. I’ve been overweight for my entire life, and always believed that’s just how I was always going to be. After joining Slimming World just before I fell pregnant with Wills, I am now the slimmest I have ever been, and much more confident in my self.
- I feel positive about the future. For a long time I couldn’t see past the week or even the day, but I can genuinely say now that I am excited for what our future has to hold. I’m excited to see the kids grow up, and I’m excited for where life is going to take us.
- I’ve found my passion. I’ve always loved to write, and have always wanted to write. But it wasn’t until starting the blog in January this year that I discovered something where I could genuinely put that passion into practise.
- Our work/life balance is great. For years we had the conundrum of huge salaries but no spare time to enjoy them (or each other), and when I finally decided to hand over the reigns of my business and hand in my resignation, I can hands down say it was the best decision I ever made. We have so little money these days that on (rare) occasions it can feel a bit hairy getting through the month. BUT we have so much more time together as a family, and we have reminded ourselves that money really isn’t everything. I genuinely don’t believe that our family would have survived intact had we carried on working the way we used to.
So that’s it! And that’s all from me for the weekend, too. I’ll be attempting to take a bit of a bloggy back seat this weekend and give myself a break. We’re off to stay with my sister and bro-in-law tomorrow, and then to see our new house on Saturday!
On a side note, I don’t look like this yet, so things can only be positive, right?!
I’d be lying if I said that our upcoming move (aaaargh 6 weeks!) didn’t have me feeling just a little bit on the stressed side. I think I’m doing an ok job at keeping a handle on it, and Mr C is doing his part in reminding me to chill out a bit! Continue reading “Get Organised: MummyMamaMum Is Moving!”
Even the first time around when I was pregnant with Amelia, I found myself having to defend certain things that I was or wasn’t doing. Some of the so-called rules out there, after doing my own research I just decided to ignore. Others I just either wasn’t very organised, or couldn’t bear the thought of it (antenatal classes!) Continue reading “5 Pregnancy Rules I Ignored: Why You Should Too!”