If you are a parenting blogger, or even a regular reader of parenting blogs, and you missed the fact that Britmums Live was on Saturday it’s probably because you were under a rock somewhere. Britmums Live is a pretty big fixture in the blog calendar, and I’m definitely jealous of  everyone I know who got to go this year.

I know what you’re probably thinking; if I’m so jealous why didn’t I just go?! Well I had lots of reasons actually. The cost of the ticket, travelling to London (which 8 weeks ago would have been a non-issue), my being temporarily separated from  a passport for the boat (long story). Actually, now I come to write it down, the only real issue that I registered, and that stopped me from even mentioning #BML17 to Mr C, was the cost of the ticket.

Know Your Worth

I didn’t think that my blog justified the cost of a ticket to the event. Which is ridiculous, really. My blog is my job as well as my hobby, so that justifies the expense twice over in hindsight. The value that I know I would have taken away from the day would have more than justified the cost of the ticket. Looking through the list of speakers and the schedule, bloggers were well and truly spoilt for choice this year. It didn’t even occur to me to mention #BML17 to Mr C until Friday evening (when I was whining about not going!) and it was only his reaction which made me realise just how little credit I’m giving myself.

#BML17 totally worth it

Are You Crazy?!

Mr C was horrified that I didn’t think my blog was worth the cost of the ticket. He was just as shocked that I hadn’t plugged the idea purely as a mama break! As only someone really close to you can, he told me that I was bloody ridiculous and I should have just bought a sodding ticket, and going to events like these don’t even need a discussion. They are a given part of operating a successful online business. Probably the most sensible thing he’s ever said to me, to be honest (sorry, love you xx)

Plug It Baby

If nothing else, going to some blogging events like #BML17 is a great way to meet other bloggers. Meeting some of the bloggers I admire would be great, and there’s always going to be the kind of camaraderie you’re just not going to get among non-bloggers. It’s a great time sell yourself too, because ultimately that’s a big part of any business, online or otherwise. And maybe, just maybe, it’d be a confidence booster too! we all have different goals for our blogs, and I’m well on the way to achieving mine. To keep the momentum going, though, I know I need to give myself and my blog more credit and crucially, more focus. And more networking 🙂

So Let’s Meet!

I’ve learned my lesson, and I’ve bought my ticket to the Blogosphere mag’s Christmas Festival in Shoreditch this December. I missed the early bird tickets (d’oh!) but there’s a second round of late early bird tickets available as I’m writing this for £25. Once these have gone I believe the full ticket price will be £30. I’d love to hear from you if you’re thinking of going too, already have your ticket, or if I’ve persuaded you that you too should be giving your blog more credit! Come and join me, I’d love to meet some of you there!

Why I Didn’t Go to #BML17: Knowing Your Worth

27 thoughts on “Why I Didn’t Go to #BML17: Knowing Your Worth

• October 15, 2017 at 8:45 am

Aww I’d have loved to go to the Blogosphere party but it’s too far for me to come! I went to Britmums, I think you’d have liked it. I’d have said hello!

Thanks for linking up with #RVHT

• October 15, 2017 at 8:47 am

Ahh I’m gutted tbh, would have been great to meet you!xx

• October 11, 2017 at 9:26 am

I have never been to a blogging event and is probably down to me not being confident enough in myself and my blog, which is silly! I really need to get to one as i think i will get a lot from it! 🙂

#RVHT

• October 11, 2017 at 10:25 am

I think that’s it for most of us; lack of confidence. But we (and our blogs) are definitely worth it, and you’re right there’s so much value to be gained xx

• October 10, 2017 at 10:40 pm

I went to BlogOnXmas and BlogCampOnBoard this month but not Britmums as I thought it was more posh/professional (dare I say elite?) and have heard mixed reviews. I haven”t heard of the Blogosphere so will check it out and maybe see you there! #RVHT

• October 11, 2017 at 10:24 am

Oh that’s interesting that you thought that! I kind of think of nowt blog events as too pro for me haha!!! That’d be cool, hopefully see you there xx

• October 8, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Sorry you missed the opportunity but I know how you feel im the same! And as for travelling solo to places unknown to me that frieghtens the crap out of me I wouldn’t dare…. maybe on day eh #RVHT

• October 8, 2017 at 11:52 pm

Oh no! I have to say, I love travelling! Being from London, I love a good opportunity to go home, and I should have taken this one! X

• October 8, 2017 at 8:23 am

Sorry you missed the opportunity to go 🙁 our blog is just a hobby for us and we don’t montise it, however we love going to #BML17 just to listen to the speakers and network. The ticket price is expensive and we got early bird tickets this year. It’s really invaluable and we love meeting new friends x hopefully see you there next year x Sorry for our super late comment on #DreamTeam
    Baby Isabella recently posted…Silent Sunday 08.10.17My Profile

• October 8, 2017 at 11:49 pm

This sounds to me like proof enough that I should definitely go next year!!x

• October 7, 2017 at 6:57 pm

I am really tempted to go to this one a Christmas! I have never been to a blogger event (I definitely don’t think I’m worthy and kind of think I’ll be laughed at!). I should probably just get over myself! #fortheloveofBLOG

• October 8, 2017 at 11:44 pm

That exactly how I feel! But I feel like Blogosphere is a good first go because it’s not a huge ticket price xx

• October 6, 2017 at 7:37 pm

I would have loved to have seen you there! I certainly don’t consider myself to be a proper blogger. I don’t even monetise my blog and it’s just a hobby for me. I like to attend one event a year though just as my special treat and to indulge in my interests and meet all the lovely people I’ve been chatting with all year. You’re definitely worth it! Thanks for linking to #DreamTeam x
    Rhyming with Wine recently posted…Ode to Judgy McJudgepantsMy Profile

• October 8, 2017 at 11:41 pm

I love that! That’s the thing, even aside from being a ‘proper blogger’ it’s ridiculous that I didn’t think it was worth it even as a treat to myself! Why the hell not?!xx

• October 6, 2017 at 9:11 am

It does cost a lot of money, which is fine if you can afford and it is your thing then. I would say go for it. Blogging world is big enough for everyone, big or small X #dreamteam

• October 5, 2017 at 1:18 pm

I was the same! Just didn’t think it was worth the money and the travel for my ‘little, unknown blog’. I didn’t know about the blogosphere one though, wish I could go! x
    #dreamteam

• October 5, 2017 at 2:13 pm

See its comments like this that really solidify it for me! So many bloggers like yourself who I see as pretty bloody successful Bloggers, have said they felt the same! Proof that we are ALL worth it, and all probably giving ourselves way less credit than we deserve!!xx

• October 6, 2017 at 8:37 pm

It’s so daft that we don’t see ourselves as good enough to go! We should be more confident in ourselves. Next year hey ☺️?

• October 8, 2017 at 11:42 pm

I’m there if you are 😉 x

• October 4, 2017 at 8:52 am

I also didn’t go to BML17, it was a money thing.. didn’t help that I’d just come back from my holiday Friday night so Saturday was a defo no-no but I’m going to hopefully go next year! Will have to add the date into my diary early and save up the pennies.

• October 4, 2017 at 12:53 pm

Yes for sure, I’m starting a little blog pot now so that when hints come up I have a little stash. Hopefully see you next year!xx

• October 4, 2017 at 8:05 am

Just sad that I’m not based in the UK as I’m a South African blogger. We do have blogger events here as well and it is great to connect with other bloggers. With the amount of effort and time we put into our blogs – we need to give ourselves credit.#dreamteam

• October 4, 2017 at 12:50 pm

That’s so true! Yeah, it’s a shame that you couldn’t get to events over here xx

• October 3, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Oh I’m totally with you on this one – I never even looked at the ticket price because I don’t think of myself as “big enough” yet to go to blogging events. But… actually it turns out that a lot of my peers were there so maybe I need to start realising that my blog is important (to me, even if to no-one else). #dreamteam
    Lucy At Home recently posted…Bloggers Bluff 26 ft. Daydreams of a MumMy Profile

• October 3, 2017 at 5:24 pm

Yes! That’s exactly it, but I just think we’re not giving ourselves enough credit xx

• October 3, 2017 at 5:23 pm

That was part of what held me back too, and you’re right we are being silly!xx