Every morning I lay on a huge breakfast. I’m talking the full works; watermelon, apple, strawberries, grapes, toast, jam, marmite, honey, porridge, eggs, sausages, bacon, juice, and of course, coffee! Behind this breakfast are a whole host of parenting insecurities, though.

It might sound ridiculous, it even feels a bit ridiculous typing it and seeing it all there on the screen. And it hasn’t always been this way. As recently as a couple of months ago, breakfast was a rushed affair usually consisting of arguments over coco pops, weetabix, and how much time was being taken.

Parenting Insecurities. When we relocated in July (I'll stop going on about it soon, I promise!) one of the biggest reasons for the move was to have more quality time together as a family. Breakfast is a big part of this. Instead of spending all morning yelling at each other about the aforementioned morning issues, now we all sit down together and enjoy a breakfast together that isn't rushed and is enjoyable for everyone.

When we relocated in July (I’ll stop going on about it soon, I promise!) one of the biggest reasons for the move was to have more quality time together as a family. Breakfast is a big part of this. Instead of spending all morning yelling at each other about the aforementioned morning issues, now we all sit down together and enjoy a breakfast together that isn’t rushed and is enjoyable for everyone.

Family time is something that is really important to me, and not just me but most people! We mums spend a lot of time beating ourselves up for the things we think we’re not very good at, and even the things we think we might not be good at in the future! I’m no exception, and my biggest fear is not creating stability, or a solid family unit.

My own background has a lot to do with my fears. It fills me with dread to think that my kids might one day look back on their childhoods and remember never staying in one place for long, or not knowing who to trust because no one was ever really there. Of course these are totally irrational fears; my kids aren’t going anywhere, I’m not going anywhere, they are loved beyond belief.

Yet still I find myself relocating hundreds of miles and filling the table to the brim with food at 7am just to make sure that family time is there, clear for them to take advantage of, stable in its delivery, and always always prepared with love.

Now you might by now be thinking that I’m from the school of “nothing is too much to ask for my precious darlings” but those who know me a little better will know I’m not actually that great! I would do anything for my kids. Within reason! All too often the phrase “I’m not your slave” can be heard bouncing off the walls of our house. No I won’t go and fetch your teddy with the yellow ears from your bedroom, I’m not your slave. No, I will not go to the playhouse and get your red colouring pencil, I’m not your slave. But yes, I will go to every length necessary to make sure you always know that we are here, whenever you need us. That we are solid, we’re not going anywhere and we never will. And that, above all else, we love you.

Tell me I’m not crazy! Do Tell you have any totally irrational parenting insecurities?!

What’s Hiding Behind Breakfast: Parenting Insecurities

15 thoughts on “What’s Hiding Behind Breakfast: Parenting Insecurities

• September 12, 2017 at 6:23 pm

I think we all have parenting insecurities and we can’t ever win! Thanks for linking up to #fortheloveofblog x

• September 14, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Totally agree!xx

• September 8, 2017 at 3:18 pm

I can so understand this! I may not give such a great selection for breakfast but I do think it is really important to sit down together. Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime 🎉
    Imperfect Mum recently posted…10 things that make me happyMy Profile

• September 8, 2017 at 4:52 pm

I feel like it sets the day off well xx

• September 7, 2017 at 8:30 pm

I never eat breakfast – bad I know! Mornings are tremendously busy in our house and hubby leaves early and isn’t home in time for dinner so we try and get together for meal times at the weekend. #fortheloveofblog

• September 7, 2017 at 4:57 pm

We (I) enjoy dinner as a family too… I know mealtimes are super important in France, so I totally got where you’re coming from. Personally I think if more of us took mealtimes seriously, we might find that our kids respected food a bit more… who knows, just a theory!xx

• September 7, 2017 at 12:26 pm

I am also a bit insane on the breakfast front and I’m sure that is also driven by some insecurity as actually most things in life are. I think it’s great that you are driven by that promise though, so good things can come out of insecurities can’t they….thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely xoxo

• September 7, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Yeah that’s very true. I prefer the positive spin! Xx

• September 7, 2017 at 7:01 am

Aww thank you. We didn’t have a dining room until we moved last month, so maybe that’s a big part of why I do it too..x

• September 6, 2017 at 11:33 am

I used to obsess over being the perfect mother when my boys were small because of my own rough childhood where I couldn’t trust anyone either and even though I lived in one place from the time I was 8 until I moved out at 18, it never felt like home to me (partly because I was made to feel that way). I have since relaxed a bit on the whole perfect mom thing because I know I’m not perfect. No one is. I never did the big breakfast thing though because I actually do not like cooking. I do it for my boys and every now and then I will cook a big meal but I also was married to a really picky eater for 10 years and ended up having a child who is a really picky eater so my options for food are limited. Breakfast usually consists of waffles, cereal, oatmeal, milk, water, and coffee. And none of it is homemade LOL. #bloggerclubuk
    Michelle Kellogg recently posted…When a Romantic Relationship Affects Your Mental HealthMy Profile

• September 6, 2017 at 11:41 am

Haha, thank you! I am totally considering adding waffles to our breakfast menu too haha!x

• September 6, 2017 at 11:40 am

It’s something I try not to majorly obsess about, but I do know that it’s always there in the back of mind in a lot of the things I do. I won’t lie, I enjoy cooking, and I also enjoy a big breakfast so it’s not entirely a selfless act haha!xx