I wasn’t born to be a mum. Every now and then, you come across someone who you feel like has all their shit together, and who seems to just have this parenting thing down. For some reason among my friends I am that person.

It’s come up on more than one occasion, and every time it baffles me. But here’s the thing; they don’t see the everyday stuff. They don’t see the bad days (well, not all of them anyway!) They don’t see me hiding in the loo just after breakfast scrolling through Instagram. I’d like to think I’m pretty open with just about everyone about the reality of parenting. But how many times have I really confessed that time I really raised my voice? Or the time that I cried in the street with Amelia because she refused to walk the last few steps to the house and I had an armful of shopping?

Hearing friends and other people talk about how they perceive me as a mum has got me thinking, though. There are things I know I could do better, and there are things I know I need to work on. But I guess there are also things that I do pretty well. We’re great at knowing our own faults, but how good are we at celebrating the things we are good at? Parenthood is crazy hard a lot of the time, and some days we deserve a pat on the back!

With that in mind, I’ve come up with a few reasons why I am good at this mumming lark. Things that do deserve a little pat on the back, not just for me but for all of us out there worrying we’re not good enough.

Were ay of us really born to be a mum? When I really listen, my kids have the ability to make me laugh, cry, be inquisitive, and all manner of other things! They are true comedians, but also say the most adorable things. If I listen hard enough, sometimes I can hear myself echoed in them, and that gives me a reason to pause and reflect. Do I like the way I sound?

Take Time To Appreciate The Small Things

This is one that sometimes I am guilty of forgetting to do, but when I’m on form its such an important one. I’m not talking about the little things that we, as adults, often forget to appreciate, but taking the time to appreciate the tiny things that amaze our kids every single day. “Mum come and look at this!” for the 50th time of the day can literally have us rolling our eyes so hard they get lost up there forever! But imagine what it’s like seeing a ladybird up reeeeeeally close for the first ever time. The way its wings twitch and its tiny little legs move. Sharing those moments bonds you in such a strong way.

Listening Instead Of Talking

Amelia, like most kids, has so much to say! It can be easy for her voice to kind of turn into background white noise, with me nodding and chiming in “uh-huh” in all the right places. But she’s a wiley one, that kid! She caught me out today – apparently she asked if it was ok to wee on the carpet and I, of course, dutifully nodded “uh-huh”.

“Mum! I can’t really wee wee on the floor, listen to me!”

When I really listen, she has the ability to make me laugh, cry, be inquisitive, and all manner of other things! She’s a true comedian, but she also says the most adorable things. If I listen hard enough, sometimes I can hear myself echoed in her, and that gives me a reason to pause and reflect. Do I like the way I sound?

Deep Breaths, Count To Five

This one is firmly in our lives now. Both me and Amelia do it when we’re stressed, and I want to make sure Wills cottons on when he’s ready too. When anything starts to kick off, or one of us starts to get stressed I say;

“Deep breaths, count to 5. In the nose, out the mouth, in the nose, out the mouth…”

Until we’ve taken 5 deep breaths. Dealing with whatever the issue is usually a lot easier after 5 deep breaths.

Stop And Reflect

Every day I take a little bit of time to reflect on the day. What was great, what wasn’t so great. Would I have changed anything – about the kids behaviour, about my own? Sometimes it’s hard to admit when you’re wrong, but I’d say 80% of the time I can trace poor kid behaviour back to myself. Not listening properly, raising my voice, knee-jerk reactions.

I don’t beat myself up about it, I just agree with myself that I’m going to work on it ready for the next day.

I Wasn’t Born To Be A Mum

None of these things come naturally to me, and all of them have taken hard work and determination to keep trying. I’m naturally hot-headed, impatient, judgemental, and critical. But I’m also nurturing, curious, and a bit creative.

So I’ve created these ways that work for me, and work for the kids. Sometimes the things I create don’t work, or they suddenly stop working and I have to think really quickly of brand new ways to deal with things. That is what we do, as parents. And that is what makes all of us bloody amazing!

Give yourself a pat on the back, mama! You weren’t born to do this, but you’re killing it!

I Wasn’t Born To Be A Mum: Learning Every Day

27 thoughts on “I Wasn’t Born To Be A Mum: Learning Every Day

• September 14, 2017 at 4:19 pm

Was anyone?! Xx

• September 8, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Haha ditto!x

• September 8, 2017 at 3:21 pm

I don’t think there is anyone who believe they have this motherhood business down pat every day. I know it took me a long time to embrace my imperfections but I have! being mum is a learning curve! Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime 🎉
    Imperfect Mum recently posted…10 things that make me happyMy Profile

• September 8, 2017 at 4:53 pm

It most certainly is!d

• September 8, 2017 at 1:13 am

What an honest read! Absolutely agree with you. Being a mom has definitely been the hardest and the happiest time of my life.

• September 7, 2017 at 9:11 pm

I love this post. I know exactly what you mean, some of my friends have commented to me that I just seem to have it all together all the time, the kids are so behaved I am so organised…. me I feel like a wreck, my head is spinning with things to do I feel like I shout too often at the children when they play me up. Its a constant stress. But for some reason we manage to portray this calm collected image. xx #ablogginggoodtime

• September 8, 2017 at 7:08 am

Yes! That is me/us!xx

• September 7, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Great tips! It’s all about the deep breathes at home at the moment #stayclassymama

• September 7, 2017 at 7:01 pm

You sound just like me! I have got a reputation for being a natural mother, and I just don’t feel like I am at all. I’m also a real hot-head, but I have learnt (i.e. forced myself and it’s now become a habit) to be calm and chilled out with my kids. I love your reminder about the amazingness of seeing a ladybird for the first time. #ablogginggoodtime
    Lucy At Home recently posted…The Local Knowledge Guide To North WalesMy Profile

• September 7, 2017 at 7:03 pm

I feel like we could be the same person haha! I’m exactly the same, a total hot head who’s trained herself to react every time with a calm “oh dear..” xx

• September 7, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Yeah, me too! Xx

• September 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

I have a granddaughter now, and I find myself kind of tuning her out. My patience isn’t what it uses to be. But she’s such a smart and loving little being. I have to put forth the effort to do and be better. She’s made my life so bright!! Gramma just has to get back into the swing of things lol!! Great post. I definitely can relate.

• September 7, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Oh how I wish I could tune my two out sometimes haha!!xx

• September 6, 2017 at 7:42 pm

do you know what your exactly right I was having this conversation with someone the other day social media makes you think every parent is perfect parenting no one seems to lead a tough life with kids these days but in reality its not true I think your very brave for saying that parenting doesn’t come naturally to you not many would admit to it i think you just have to stay true to yourself I love this post very honest and well written #fortheloveofblog

• September 7, 2017 at 7:00 am

Aw thank you this was such a lovely thing to say! Parenting is definitely tough, and even though we do t always want to share the hard time sometimes it’s important to. Xx

• September 6, 2017 at 11:07 am

I never saw myself as a typical mum. I don’t like baby things or children. But then with my own, I dote on her. It’s important though to also take some time for yourself.

• September 6, 2017 at 11:36 am

I agree; it’s important not to lose yourself xx

• September 5, 2017 at 3:37 pm

This is really great advice, and I’m still a work in progress with much of it too!! I’ve started to pick out 3 positive things from each day, to try and make the really tough days seem positive. I try not to immediately say ‘yes I saw it, but just come on, quickly,’ when I’ve been asked to stop for the billionth time to look at a piece of fluff or a snail! It’s a totally different mind set isn’t it, but achievable with (more) patience!!
    #bigpinklink
    This Mum’s Life recently posted…The Big Pink Link Week 75!My Profile

• September 5, 2017 at 5:01 pm

I think it is about changing your mindset, and he reality is that we’re not always great at slowing down, and sometimes we just can’t! But taking the positives from the good in every day makes it all feel a little bit easier xx

• September 4, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Love this so much, I can really relate to it. People comment on how I have it together all the time and I have to say to them that it isn’t always the case. Nine times out of ten I am struggling, and completely winging it! Which is fine. Thats parenthood right?lol. #bigpinklink

• September 5, 2017 at 4:39 am

Sounds just like me! We’re all just winging it really, aren’t we?!xx

• September 4, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Oh I love this – it is so true. I’m a primary school teacher so people automatically think I must be blessed with some natural mothering shit. Er, no – it is TOTALLY different. Our own children know how to push us to our very limits – they make us so tired. We are in situations we have never experienced before so of course it is so challenging. I love what you say about showing ourselves the same kindness we show our children though – that one will be my mantra! #bigpinklink

• September 4, 2017 at 8:35 pm

I hear you! I worked in early years for a while and trained as an early years teacher so I got that assumption all the time too!xx