You might have missed it (y’know, if you’ve been in a cave or something) but it has been bloody hot this week, and it’s set to continue for at least a few days. The thing with kids and heat is that heat affects so many different things that it can be almost impossible not to lose it somewhere along the way.

Heat does the obvious (as in, make you hot…), and it also makes us irritable, less hungry, more easily tired, lethargic, and sticky and uncomfortable. Not to mention that not only does the hot weather do this to us, but it does this to our kids too! Now I don’t know about you guys, but I’m always being told how much my 3-year-old is like me, and if there’s anything more catastrophic than 2 hot, grumpy me’s I’ve yet to find it!

So here are some of my tried and tested tricks for keeping the stress levels to a minimum while the weather is so hot.

Chill Out Avoid A Heatwave Meltdown

1. Start The Day With A Good Breakfast. This might sound a bit random, but on a really hot day the chances are the one time of the day that everyone is going to actually be hungry is breakfast time. To avoid worrying about how much (little) the kids have eaten by the end Of the day, allow them to eat as much as possible at breakfast, and fill them up on the good stuff!  Oats, toast, cereals like Weetabix and cooked eggs are always a good shout, and full of energy too.
  2. Keep As Few Clothes On Them As Possible. If you’re not planning on leaving the house, follow this rule for yourself too! There is nothing wrong with kids spending a day (and night) in just their nappies or underwear, and it will help to keep them cool and comfortable. Cool and comfortable = less chance of irritable meltdown. Win!
  3. Stock Up & Freeze Fruit. You know what’s great? Frozen melon chunks! And frozen grapes, frozen banana, and frozen strawberries – basically, frozen fruit! Not only does freezing fruit make for the most amazingly cooling and healthy snacks, you’ll worry less about how little the kids are eating, and they’ll be so full up after all that fruit they wont want anything else! Plus, once they’ve crashed for the night you can blend what’s left and add copious glugs of booze. Just saying.
  4. Stay Inside Over The Hottest Part Of The Day. This probably goes without saying, but it’s probably not going to be fun to venture out anytime between 12 and 3pm. Contrary to popular belief, lunchtime is not usually the hottest part of the day. As the sun heats up throughout the day, it generally reaches its hottest point at around 3pm, and after that begins to cool down. Plan to do something indoors at this time (with windows open & curtains shut); watch a movie, drizzle chocolate sauce and sprinkles over frozen bananas on lolly sticks, read books (or you could just watch TV).
  5. Water, Water, Water. I’m sure I don’t need to tell you this, but fill them (and yourself) up on as much water as possible. Even when they argue that they want something else, its time to pull out that (slightly hot & grumpy) mama boss voice and let them know there’ll be nothing else! Not only will filling them up on water fulfil one of your mum jobs (that’s keeping them alive), drinking water also has other positive effects. Keeping hydrated during a heatwave helps to control mood, helps to regulate temperature and keep you cool, fights fatigue and lethargy (when no-one’s slept because of the heat), and even improves concentration.

Chill Out Avoid A Heatwave Meltdown

If none of this makes you feel any better, you can always imagine me at work. Looking after fifteen 1 to 2-year-olds. Yup, that’s right!

Enjoy the sun guys!!

Chill Out: 5 Ways To Avoid A Heatwave Meltdown

24 thoughts on “Chill Out: 5 Ways To Avoid A Heatwave Meltdown

• June 27, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Another tip (yes, I live in Africa) is to put frozen fruit in the water, specifically strawberry slices, blue berries, any berries really. Also slices of orange, lemon, cucumber or even watermelon. Adding a sprig of fresh mint changes it all up too.
    #fortheloveofblog

• June 27, 2017 at 9:43 pm

Ooh, that’s a good one! I didn’t think of that! xx

• June 27, 2017 at 8:56 am

Haha I HATE the heat, I blame Welsh genes…I like the frozen fruit idea, we lived off icepops and I spent evenings with my feed in cold water in the washing up bowl with my son in the bath next to me. Our water bill will be HUGE this quarter. I hid inside too! Fab informative post #stayclassymama

• June 27, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Haha the Welsh genes!! It was seriously too much, especially for the little ones xx

• June 24, 2017 at 9:15 pm

Hits the spot for all of us!x

• June 23, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Amazing post! Freezing the fruit, starting with breakfast AND the 12-3pm thing, all things I have never considered maybe because I’m (1) from San Francisco where we don’t have heat waves and (2) I am a new mum and haven’t thought about my child in a heat wave. So seriously this was really helpful for me : ). Thanks for sharing with #StayClassyMama!
    The Mum Project recently posted…7 Things That are EASIER After Having a BabyMy Profile

• June 24, 2017 at 8:15 am

Ahh glad it was useful! Just a shame the weather didn’t around hahaha!!!xx

• June 23, 2017 at 1:35 pm

I’m great at filling the kids up, not so much myself haha!x

• June 22, 2017 at 8:33 pm

I’m schvitzing (sweating) as I read this, and hoping for some frozen fruit at home after work. Great post for all of us! I am the only one in the family that loves the heat – my 3 muses, not so much! #stayclassymama

• June 22, 2017 at 10:46 pm

I won’t lie, I’m not a big fan! I don’t mind being out in it if I’m moving around, but I’ve never been the bathing in it type haha!!xx

• June 22, 2017 at 7:01 pm

This is the perfect post to read this week! I have been totally stressing about the lack of eating going on, and very unlike us we have been camping out indoors in the dark and cool front rooms of the house. Hasn’t helped the girls have both had a viruus with a fever aargh!
    Thanks so much for linking to #coolmumclub
    MMT recently posted…#coolmumclub Linky week 70My Profile

• June 22, 2017 at 10:44 pm

Oh no!! Sick littles on this weather nut have been so awful!! Sending non-sicky vibes!!!! Xx

• June 22, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Oh that’s a good one!! I remember taking frozen drinks when I was at secondary school, perfect!xx

• June 22, 2017 at 3:17 pm

👋🏻

• June 22, 2017 at 3:09 pm

I just knew as I was publishing this post yesterday that Sod’s law would make it rain today hahaha!! It’s not quite raining here just yet, but it does look imminent! On the bright side, everyone seems Abby happier in our house!!xx

• June 22, 2017 at 10:31 am

Gosh it’s been so hot and I have basically been wondering around the house in a bikini the last few days (god help everybody!) but I literally got so hot while cooking last night I thought I was going to explode! At least it’s a little cooler today – thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub with this xoxo
    Talya recently posted…Twin to win: awesome mummy and me tops from InkRocket + win a set!My Profile

• June 22, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Hahaha!! Monday-Wednesday I was at work with 15 under 2’s! Can you imagine!! Haha!!xx

• June 22, 2017 at 8:15 am

Frozen fruit always works well for us in heatwaves – it’s the one thing that I know the children will eat even if they’re not hungry otherwise. I always get very headachy and grumpy if I’m dehydrated so making sure we all drink plenty of water is high on my list. We always keep a jug in the fridge in hot weather to make sure there is always chilled water on hand. #coolmumclub

• June 22, 2017 at 8:18 am

Keeping it chilled in the fridge is always what I’ve done too, but just recently Amelia’s started to complain about anything too cold and prefers hers straight from the tap!! Kids eh?! Haha xx