I didn’t know until recently that my style of parenting could mostly be described as ‘gentle parenting’. In fact it wasn’t until I read this from Gentle Parenting recently that I realised that I basically parent in this way 90% of the time. And the other 10% is just when I’m being a bitch/I’m too tired to parent/I’m too stressed to parent.

I’ve worried on many occasions that my style of parenting could sometimes be seen as allowing the kids to get away with too much, or behave like twats with little or no repercussions, but in fact it’s as far from that as could be. I expect a lot from the kids, Amelia more so what with Wills still being pretty small. Amelia has very clear boundaries, but I guess it’s how I try to handle her behaviour when she crosses those boundaries that could be defined as ‘gentle parenting’.

R.E.S.P.E.C.T: What Does It Mean To You?

One of the biggest things that I always try to practice with Amelia is to show her the respect that I think she deserves. The respect that I would expect her to show to others, to me, her brother, and her Dad. This can be simple things like always saying please and thank you to her, but as she gets older it also means that I try to respect her individuality more. She is at an age where she has clear likes and dislikes. There’s a fine line between allowing her to do/not do what she likes and respecting her likes and dislikes. Sometimes it can be a hard balance to strike.

I like to think that I know my kids pretty well, so I can usually tell when she ‘doesn’t like’ something because she’s having me on, and when she genuinely doesn’t like something. I mean, let’s be real; if someone offered you a food that you hate every Wednesday, despite you telling them every time that you don’t like it, you’d get pretty pissed off, right?! If someone yelled at you from another room to “get here right now” when you were in the middle of watching a riveting YouTube video of cats chasing wool, you’d have a little huff and puff, right?!

Gentle Parenting A Real Mama's Guide
“That’s my ball, Mum!”

You Just Don’t Get Me!

I’ve written before about finding it hard to comprehend any kind of real attachment to material possessions, especially the seemingly irrational attachment that kids have to the most random things. But this is one of the ways that I try to show as much understanding as possible.

Imagine you have a tatty old rag. That rag belonged to your Great Grandma, and the day she passed away she gave it to you and said “keep this with you, and I’ll always be by your side.” To anyone else, that tatty old rag is a piece of junk, but to you it is the ultimate treasure. Say one day you drop that rag in the street, suddenly realise the mistake and panic, retracing your steps hurriedly to retrieve it. Your friends might be totally baffled as to why you’re freaking out over a tatty old rag, but to you it means way too much to let it go.

I’ve just made this rag up, but I try to think about Amelia’s prized possessions in this way, because I know in her little 3-year-old mind that this is how she thinks of her favourite things. It doesn’t matter that her favourite things change sometimes daily, at that time they are precious, and who am I to question that?!

How Would You Feel?

When Amelia is kicking and whingeing at me 10 minutes after she wakes up, as frustrating as it can be, I know that I’m not a morning person either. Sometimes her reaction when I wake her up for nursery is exactly how I felt like behaving when my alarm went off!

via GIPHY

I try to use this principle to guide how I respond to her in general. Kids are like tiny explosive balls of emotion, and at 3 Amelia is only beginning to scratch the surface of how to handle all those feelings. So when she’s bawling her eyes out, or stamping and screaming at me I try to take a second to work out how I would feel in her position. Again, I can usually work out if she’s kicking off because she think it’ll get her her own way or if she’s genuinely emotionally overwhelmed.

Do What Works For You

I don’t know that any particular style of parenting is better or worse than others, or if choosing to parent a certain way makes anyone a better or worse parent. Each to their own, as far as I’m concerned! I’m also acutely aware that there are numerous times that I fail miserably at responding to Amelia the way I’d like to. Daily, in fact! and there are times that keeping a handle on my own emotions requires some serious effort, because let’s face it, kids can be pricks!

What I do know, is that when I’m on top parenting form and I’m following all of my own advice, Amelia responds so positively. Our days are more chilled, tantrums are more easily diffused, and we have more fun.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on gentle parenting. Am I just a hippy pandering to my kids, or do you too try to follow the principles of gentle parenting too? Or have you, like me, been following these principles without even realising you were gentle parenting?

Gentle Parenting: A Real Mama’s Guide

28 thoughts on “Gentle Parenting: A Real Mama’s Guide

• Pingback: Gentle Parenting: The Calm Down Corner | Mummy Mama Mum

• Pingback: Individuality: Is My Child An Extension Of Me? | Mummy Mama Mum

• May 28, 2017 at 2:40 pm

No not a hippy at all! I try to look at my parenting in exactly the same way. I always think that if as an adult our leads weren’t followed or respected, then we wouldn’t be very happy. Thank you so much for linking up to #DreamTeam!
    Mrs Lighty recently posted…Happy Little Buttons – May 2017My Profile

• May 28, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Oh I’m glad you think so too! I think it sometimes gets a bad rap, and it certainly doesn’t make us perfect haha!!xx

• May 25, 2017 at 12:55 pm

The term ‘gentle parenting’ sounds like those really frustrating mums in the park whose kids are hitting and biting and they respond with ‘darling, please don’t do that’, then turn and ignore the repeat behaviour! Though I wouldn’t term my parenting style as ‘gentle’ I suppose I do follow many of the principles. However, if I listenened to all their ‘so called’ dislikes where food is concerned, my youngest wouldn’t eat much!! #dreamteam
    Sonia recently posted…The Best UK Woodland WalksMy Profile

• May 25, 2017 at 5:50 pm

It always used to conjure those images for me too! But it really isn’t that at all, it’s more about mutual respect and realising that kids have feelings/emotions etc just like we do. I see it more as putting myself in their shoes sometimes, thinking how I would feel if I were them. X

• May 24, 2017 at 7:00 am

I like to think that I am practicing gentle parenting but sometimes – it is just hard work and I give in to the screaming and shouting. It can be very exhausting. I don think – there is a perfect mum out there – not one. We all try our very best and that’s what’s count most. Very interesting read though. #GlobalBlogging
    Su {Ethan & Evelyn} recently posted…Parent Consultation Day – the highlight & the low down.My Profile

• May 24, 2017 at 7:12 am

I couldn’t agree more Su! Parenting is extremely hard work, and we can all be forgiven our own emotions at times!!x

• May 23, 2017 at 12:19 pm

This is so thoughtful and lovely… we really have to consider these things, raising a child must be thoughtfully done! #DreamTeam

• May 23, 2017 at 12:24 pm

100%! Thanks for your lovely comment xx

• Pingback: Views, Reviews & How-Tos Linky 13 | Accidental Hipster Mum

• May 21, 2017 at 9:23 am

I think I’m mostly a gentle parent. I didn’t even know it was a ‘style’ until I read about it and thought, hmm that’s probably me. The food thing gets me though. My daughter was pretending she didn’t like pizza for weeks and eventually the rest of us had pizza and I got her something else because I thought she’d gone off it, only for her to tantrum about not getting any pizza! GRRRRRRRR!

#RVHT
    Jenny (Accidental Hipster Mum) recently posted…Fidget Spinner Giveaway!My Profile

• May 21, 2017 at 11:39 am

Well if that doesn’t scream ‘typical kids’ then I don’t know what does 😂

• Pingback: You Have One Job: Don't Raise A Dickhead | Mummy Mama Mum

• May 18, 2017 at 1:45 pm

I have just discovered that I am also practising Gentle Parenting (I just popped over to the article!). I think it’s so important to respect our kids and appreciate that they have feelings and emotions just like we do. I am very clear on where the boundaries are, but I don’t bark orders at them. #ablogginggoodtime
    Lucy At Home recently posted…Declare it! Own It! Make Your Inner Voice Your Cheerleader!My Profile

• May 18, 2017 at 8:35 pm

This is EXACTLY it! I’m glad I’m not alone in having parented this way for years without really knowing that I was gentle parenting! Thanks so much for your comment xx

• May 18, 2017 at 12:11 pm

We’ve always erred on the side of gentle parenting, but after the birth of our son we went full-on gentle with our daughter, who was struggling to cope with the change. Her behaviour escalated massively while she came to terms with her brother, and our parenting just wasn’t cutting it – instead we put ourselves in her shoes. It was a challenging time but we’re through it now, and (I hope) my relationship with her has grown stronger. Fab post, I think people presume ‘gentle parenting’ means ‘permissive parenting’ but that’s not true at all! #ablogginggoodtime

• May 18, 2017 at 8:33 pm

Couldn’t agree more! There are definitely times when I get those side wards glances from people who I presume think I probably should be reacting in a different way to her behaviour, but I know that she responds so much more positively to being spoken to and understood. Thanks so much for your comment dx

• May 18, 2017 at 10:49 am

Funnily enough I’ve found it easier to gentle parent as the children have got older. They listen more which helps I guess and they understand most of the time that I have their best interests at heart – well most of the time x #ablogginggoodtime
    justsayingmum recently posted…Pushing Adulthood AwayMy Profile

• May 18, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Yeah I can kind of see how it might get easier… well here’s hoping anyway haha!!

• May 15, 2017 at 8:09 pm

Haha tell me about it! I don’t think we’d be human if we got it right all of the time, would we?! Xx

• May 15, 2017 at 10:06 am

This is great. Yes, I try to see it from her side and listen to her (well she has few words but I mean give her space see her). I do express my point of view but I don’t expect her to agree with it just because it’s important to me. We then navigate to something that works for the both of us. #RVHT
    Mama Grace recently posted…My First Party BagMy Profile

• May 15, 2017 at 12:47 pm

That’s amazing, and I think it’s so important to have that mutual respect xx

• May 15, 2017 at 8:44 am

This is a fab day of parenting and I mostly follow this too , thanks for sharing #blogstravaganza

• May 15, 2017 at 7:45 am

I love your approach, it’s how I do things the majority of the time too. We do what works best for our littles! Thanks so much for sharing with #Blogstravaganza xx

• May 15, 2017 at 7:51 am