For the zillionth time since blogging, I had an “Oh my god, it’s not just me!” moment recently, when Meagan from The Mum Project said this to me;

“I don’t think I am a newborn kind of mom … I’m more like a five-year-old kind of mom!”

That’s the beauty of blogging – there are actually people saying all of the things you’ve been secretly thinking for ages!

boring baby

Babies Are Quite Boring

So here’s the thing – I think babies are boring. Yes, they’re cute, and I’ve spent as many hours as the next mama staring at my newborn kids, but to be honest with you after the novelty wore off they just became pretty mundane. I get that sounds really harsh, and I kind of feel awful even as I type it and read it back.

It’s no secret that days spent with babies can be extremely tough. Keeping them suitably occupied is just one of the many things I, like a lot of other parents, find really hard sometimes. Peek-a-boo gets old, and repetitive baby games are just that – repetitive!

boring baby

It Takes A Few Months

It’s not really until the kids have started to properly interact with me and other adults and children that I’ve begun to really enjoy them. Wills has just started doing this thing where every time he grunts he expects you to clap or smack the table, which in turn makes him laugh uncontrollably. As a result, I feel much less ridiculous making stupid noises at him now that he is responding, compared to a few weeks ago when I was just making noise for the sake of it and getting nothing back.

You know that feeling when you’re half way through a story or joke, and as you look at the faces staring back at you it dawns upon you that they are not quite feeling your vibe, and you’re definitely going to finish on a bit of a deadpan moment. That’s what it feels like to play with a baby who gives you nothing back.

The Toddler Years

I feel like when Amelia hit the toddler years that was when I really came into my own as a mother. Suddenly she was this person with interests that we could explore, a massive personality, likes and dislikes, and a wicked laugh! The older she gets, the more fun it becomes (as well as more challenging!) I could fill a entire blog purely with quotes from my 3-year-old! She regularly tells me that I’m “hilarious, mummy” (because obviously I totally am) and has just started using some ingenious methods to try to persuade me that her way is the right way, like this a couple of weeks ago;

“If you want to make me pancakes for breakfast, Mum, you can. Or you can’t. It’s your choice. Choose! Pick a hand” *holds out hands*

Every Day Is A New Day

There have been stages of both Amelia and Wills’ childhoods so far when literally every day has brought something new and amazing for us to marvel at, but these stages have definitely been more prevalent as Amelia has gotten older. As her language has developed and she has gained the ability to hold a conversation, to understand reason (and argument, obvs), and as her personality truly begins to shine through I enjoy her more and more.

What do you think? Am I truly a harsh mummy, or have you enjoyed your kids more as they have gotten older too?

If you liked this, sign up here for more!

* indicates required

Confession: I’m Not A Boring Baby Mum

28 thoughts on “Confession: I’m Not A Boring Baby Mum

• May 9, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Thank you for quoting me haha, I’m flattered! And I really do feel this way. It’s boring as fuck with a newborn lol, sorry I’m not supposed to say this am I? I love my son so much now that he’s almost 2 years old its so much more than when he was 3 months old. It’s also a bit suffocating to be SO attached to another person all of a sudden, sorry just speaking the truth. Thanks for sharing with #StayClassyMama!
    The Mum Project recently posted…I Am Addicted to My Phone, Call Mobileholics AnonymousMy Profile

• May 9, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Oh my god YES to feeling suffocated! I really really felt that when Wills was first born, mainly because I think I’d kind of forgotten how full on it is! You’re more than welcome for the quote haha! I remember when you said it I was like “hell yes!”
      As always, thanks for hosting!x

• May 9, 2017 at 2:03 pm

You’re not harsh, kids do get more fun when they talk and have little personalities! I had a relative “easy” baby so I loved the baby days – baby classes, tea and cake with friends, walks and picnics etc… but I can see why some people who have a really hard time are happier or more confident as mums when they are older. #StayClassyMama
    Susie at This is me now recently posted…Is parenting becoming about competitive badness?My Profile

• May 9, 2017 at 4:38 pm

Mine were both pretty easy too, great sleepers etc, so I felt like I should have had far more fun, but I can’t lie – mostly I was just bored haha! X

• May 4, 2017 at 5:50 pm

Hahaha, so true!!x

• May 4, 2017 at 4:52 pm

Really great read and yes I know exactly where your coming from 😂 Though I am not sure I like the way the 5 and 6 year olds now answer back #stayclassymama

• May 4, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Ha! My 3-year-old answers back like a ninja! It’s like she has a full repertoire just pursed on the tip of her tongue at all times haha! X

• April 20, 2017 at 8:10 am

You’re like a superhero to me already lol, just from the word “single” 🙌🏼 xx

• April 13, 2017 at 10:29 am

I’m loving my baby, but I know exactly what you mean – I’m excited about when she can actually interact with me & I find out who she is as a person. #dreamteam

• April 13, 2017 at 10:41 am

People always said to me “don’t wish the years away” but I couldn’t help it! Xx

• April 11, 2017 at 7:27 pm

#marvmonday this is why i like to hold other peoples babies (the best bit) and then giving them back when I’m bored or they are playing mind games of ‘guess what i want now’
    I absolutely love the accessories that babies come with…totally cute, but hate a) carrying it b) assembling it c) remembering to pack it, life is far much more enjoyable with my little dude now aged four coming on adventures with me without all the crap 🙂

• April 12, 2017 at 7:20 am

Ah the best bit is definitely giving back other people’s babies! Like “Ah, you were cute for 5 minutes but your mum can have you now, byeee!!” Haha! X

• April 11, 2017 at 1:48 pm

I completely get what you mean. I loved it when my daughter was a baby but I do get a whole new level of pleasure now she’s 2 and can interact with me. I know my husband found it rather hard and often uninspiring when she was very small.

The ‘Pick a hand!’ story floored me – so funny! I can imagine my daughter doing something like that when she’s a bit older. they are so sharp and on the ball aren’t they. The wonders of a fresh, new and untarnished brain!!! #DreamTeam

• April 11, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Haha I’m glad it came across – sometimes I feel like when I re-tell ‘funny’ things she does it doesn’t seem so funny after all! We all think our kids are the funniest ever I guess!!

• April 11, 2017 at 12:05 pm

Yes! I totally found much of the younger stages pretty boring! X

• April 11, 2017 at 7:39 am

So many changes and phases. Hope I can find joy in each phase. The interaction thing is probably going to be a big thing for me too. As a teacher I’ve always preferred the older ones. Which is probably why it’s taken so long to get to being pregnant! #dreamteam

• April 11, 2017 at 12:04 pm

I’ve always found it quite a hard thing to admit that I prefer older kids, maybe through fear of being judged. X

• April 11, 2017 at 7:33 am

Great post – I read a book a few months after I’d had Miss O and it included a line about how the heroine loved all her children dearly, but hadn’t really enjoyed them until they were 1, was so relieved to hear it wasn’t just me that wasn’t crazy about the baby stage! She’s so much more fun now! #DreamTeam
    @MumMalarkey recently posted…‘What to Expect’ – 10 things the baby books didn’t coverMy Profile

• April 11, 2017 at 12:02 pm

I think there are more of us than maybe admit it haha!!x

• April 11, 2017 at 12:20 am

OMG! Yes! Truth is, they are cute and very burrito like as wee ones, but when they are interactive and cognitive, life gets amazing. Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful for every step of this journey, but now, as they are 6 and 9, phenomenal! xoxo #MarvMondays xo
    Lisa Pomerantz recently posted…Show me a Sign?My Profile

• April 11, 2017 at 5:03 am

I actually can’t wait for 6 and 9!! x

• April 9, 2017 at 5:09 pm

Ha Ha this made me laugh, me and my partner and just about everyone we know thats ever had children (except one) all said the same! Baby stage can go ‘do one’ its exhausting mentally and physically and the only good part is when they are sound asleep and you look at them full of gushy love, then they wake up screaming and it all starts again, scream, scream, get hot, scream, etc I am definitely with you on that! xx #Blogstravaganza

• April 9, 2017 at 5:12 pm

Oh I’m so glad not to be alone! I always feel guilty when people are like “ooooh, I miss the baby stage, I really want another one” and I’m like “errrr… yeah?” Xx

• April 9, 2017 at 11:58 am

Very wise words, I could not agree more! I’m definitely not a newborn Mum, I’m having loads of fun now my youngest is turning into a toddler! They make me laugh so much! Thanks so much for sharing with #Blogstravaganza, hope to see you again next week xx

• April 9, 2017 at 1:58 pm

A glad it’s not just me!!xx