Recently I’ve developed a bit of an alter-ego; totally in my head of course! The Mum in my head (let’s go nuts and call her Aleena A, I’ll be Aleena B) starts every morning at 5:45. She gets up, has coffee and puts her porridge on the hob to cook on a low heat while she skilfully uses this time to wash, cleanse, moisturise, tone, apply make-up and do her hair.
Aleena A eats her breakfast while sipping a cup of coffee and checking on her blog. Just as she finishes the last spoonful of porridge, Amelia tiptoes into the room and she hears Wills begin to stir.

“Morning Mummy!”

Then it’s breakfast, get the kids dressed, leave for the train station to get Amelia to nursery, back home to do some chores and get some work done.

Setting an Alarm Meme

Aleena B (that’s me!) will set an alarm for 5:45, snooze it a few times and eventually crawl out of bed at 6:30 when I hear Wills waking up, thinking

“ShitShitShit! We’re never gonna be ready on time!”

I change Wills’ nappy and take him to the kitchen for breakfast, also putting my own porridge on the hob to cook on a low heat. Mr C takes over feeding the baby, and I run to the bathroom to have a half-hearted wash (vaguely brush teeth, remove yesterday’s make up) and apply a fresh coat of make up, but get distracted half way through thinking

“ShitShitShit! The porridge!”

Amelia refuses to wake, offering only a series of grunts and a kick to the face. This usually results in her being fireman lifted to the bathroom, brushing her teeth in between screams, getting her dressed while she cries that she wants to wear her pj’s all day (me too, kid) and then a breakfast which I’m sure she never enjoys seeing as I’m usually heard every 30 seconds or so;

“Amelia eat! I’m leaving in 2 minutes!”

“We’re gonna miss our train, pick your spoon up!”

“Amelia, I’ll throw it in the bin! Eat!”

“Right, that’s it, I’m leaving”

“You’ve got 3 minutes before I leave!”

“30 seconds Amelia, quick. Finish and get your coat on”

By the time I’m on the way back from nursery I’m bloody starving (I only had half a bowl of porridge because the other half was burnt to the bottom of the pan, remember?!) so I get home and eat the lunch meant for today. At 9:30am.

Lovely Mum & Baby Activities

Aleena A has a morning snack before taking Wills to mother and baby rhyme time at the local library. She gets home in time for lunch and a nap, and while Wills sleeps she eats her lunch, gets some blog work done, prepares dinner for the day, does the housework, and drinks a cup of coffee. When Wills wakes, she plays lots of fun developmental games with him before dinner at 4 followed by a bath, a bottle of milk, and bed at 6. Amelia and Mr C arrive home at 6:15, dinner is on the table, and the family chat about their day before Amelia goes to bed at 7:30.

The real me barely leaves the house all day. The first hour back at home is usually spent laying on the kids’ bedroom floor while Wills plays around me and I check Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/get stuck on a Youtube loop. Then I remember that there is actually shit to do; 4 loads of washing to do, the dry washing that’s been on the airer for 4 days to put away. There’s a sink full of breakfast washing up to do, followed by sweeping/mopping/hoovering AGAIN. Then there’s that pile of clothes on my bedroom floor that Mr C hates, I should probably put it all away. Wills needs lunch, a bottle and a nap.

Mum and baby meme

I do the washing up, wipe the sides down, vaguely sweep the kitchen and ignore the rest of the house. I check out the pile of clothes on the bedroom floor and decide the best solution is to just put it all in the (still overflowing) wash bin. I fill the washing machine and look at the airer. No time for that. I’ll do it when Wills naps.

Wills has lunch and a bottle and I put him in his cot where, instead of sleeping he holds onto the sides and spends 40 minutes jumping up and down before eventually falling asleep standing up. I eat my lunch, make a cup of coffee (which I only drink half of) and vow to use nap time to get dinner prepared and the airer emptied. I just about manage dinner before Wills wakes up, and I look at the airer.

“Fuck it, it can wait until tomorrow”

I spend the rest of the afternoon blogging trying to blog while Wills wrecks the bedroom and plays with his new favourite toy, the DVD player. It’s loads of fun pulling it off the shelf every time Mum puts it back.

I spend a lot of my time wondering why I can’t be like my alter-ego, Aleena A. The will and the want is there, and sometimes she makes minor guest appearances in our day, but they never last for very long. *sigh*

p.s. it’s just occurred to me as I finished writing this that this is only going to get worse when I go back to work at the end of the month! eek!

My Day Done The Right Way

26 thoughts on “My Day Done The Right Way

• April 16, 2017 at 7:24 am

I’m pretty sure that I’m the B version too. I have good intentions but manage to accomplish about 30% of what I set out to do. Maybe we’re just setting the bar too high. #StayClassyMama

• April 16, 2017 at 7:43 am

I definitely think we are!! X

• April 12, 2017 at 8:04 pm

I’m right there with you!x

• April 12, 2017 at 3:13 pm

It would be pretty boring wouldn’t it!! Thank you xx

• April 5, 2017 at 12:32 pm

Wouldn’t it be nice of there were an alternate universe where version A existed. It does get easier. My one tip would be shower in the evenings! Honestly! My two are now 4 and 2 and I have only just started morning showers again. I used to have them when they were both in bed, either at my bedtime or theirs. That way I knew even if they were crying they were safe (plus they never actually were I could just swear I could hear them). It really helped speed the morning up. Good luck going back to work.
    Thank you for linking to the #BigPinkLink
    Kirsty – Winnettes recently posted…Big Pink Link Week 57My Profile

• April 5, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Yeah that’s a great tip, I always try to shower in the evenings (except I usually fall asleep on the sofa before I get a chance haha) xx

• April 4, 2017 at 10:18 pm

Hehehe! Sorry. I don’t mean to laugh but that’s hilarious. I know exactly what you mean though. The A star mummy in us will have organic freshly prepared dinner on the table by 4.30pm. B will maybe opt for some sort of pasta dish by 5 something. Whilst C will be throwing fish fingers by 6 ish! Thanks so much for sharing with the #DreamTeam x
    Annette, 3 Little Buttons recently posted…#DreamTeam Linky 49My Profile

• April 5, 2017 at 7:32 am

Yes!! That’s me, 100% I’d forgotten about C actually haha!!xx

• April 4, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Yes! In my head it all works so perfectly, in real life bloody baby rhyme time is almost impossible to get to despite having one, fairly compliant 4 month old. I don’t even know how!? #BigPinkLink

• April 5, 2017 at 7:31 am

Hahaha! I look back at the days of one kid now and wonder how getting out of the house took so long! These days despite being up somewhere around 6:30 we still can’t manage getting out before 11 hahaha! Xx

• April 2, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Oh I hear you! I wake up every morning and actually tend to manage about the first 30 minutes of every day as Dawn A. Sometimes we do developmental fun things like making the porridge together. This lasts for a short while before Dawn B makes an appearance, totally looses her poop and yells “Just stop eating jam with that spoon and why is there porridge on the cat?” Loved this hon. This is my life too! Thanks for sharing with #DreamTeam x
    Rhyming with Wine recently posted…#happylittlebuttons March Round-up My Profile

• April 2, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Hahahahahaha cracking up at the vision of porridge on the cat!!!!!!xx

• April 1, 2017 at 10:24 pm

I do the ridiculous “we’re leaving in a minute” countdown. I say it about 50 times and I never manage to get my big one out the house at the desired time. I need to dream up an alter ego to help me kick my butt into shape!

#RV&HT

• April 1, 2017 at 10:27 pm

I literally switch between “5 minutes”, “1 minute”, “30 seconds”, and “RIGHT NOW” so many times it’s probably just really bloody confusing hahaha!!x

• March 30, 2017 at 9:07 am

Yeah I think you have just described all of our lives. If only there could be 3 of us to do each job eh? #RVHT

• March 30, 2017 at 9:40 am

Haha, that’d be pure bliss!

• March 29, 2017 at 4:28 am

Ooh hope work goes well and you settle back in nicely x #RV&HT

• March 29, 2017 at 5:30 am

Thank you! The

• March 27, 2017 at 11:39 am

Ha! Yep. So many good intentions but they all go to pot first thing 😀 #rv&ht

• March 26, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Aleen A is just a bore! Much prefer to be hanging out with Aleena B – welcome to my life! #blogstravaganza

• March 26, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Hahaha that’s so true, she definitely is! X

• March 25, 2017 at 6:30 pm

I love this! I say ‘It’s going in the bin’ so many times a day, it’s so frustrating when they take ages to eat! My alter ego very rarely makes an appearance, in fact I think I’m yet to meet her! Thanks so much for sharing with #Blogstravaganza, hope to see you again next week xx

• March 25, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Haha, I’m glad it’s not just me!! See you next week, for sure!xx