I’m always after quick and easy recipes that the whole family will eat, and with me returning to work at the end of March I’ve been worrying quite a lot about keeping up with all of the fresh, home cooked meals we have been enjoying. So when Dolmio sent us the ingredients for a quick midweek spaghetti Bolognese I was intrigued to see if it would work for us, taking into account all of our likes, dislikes, and dietary needs.

I like for food I cook to be suitable for everyone, from toothless Wills, typical toddler Amelia, and Slimming Worlder me (Mr C will pretty much eat anything). The last thing I want to be doing is cooking separate meals for us all, so I was a bit nervous to check how many syns are in the Dolmio Original Bolognese sauce. Turns out the whole jar is 11 syns, and given that fed 4 adults, a toddler and a baby and there were enough leftovers for 2 adults, I worked it out as less than 2 syns per portion, which I think is pretty good.

Dolmio recipes

Dolmio Bolognese
Spaghetti Bolognese

Aren’t Jars of Sauce Bad For You?

I’ve always been pretty against the idea of sauces in jars, believing that they are just full of ingredients that aren’t necessary and aren’t healthy. I was quite surprised to find that the list of ingredients on the jar were all what I would consider to be healthy and natural, including tomatoes, onion, garlic, herbs, cornflour, lemon juice and sunflower oil.

There are 2 teaspoons of sugar in the jar, which is listed as beet sugar. Beet sugar is basically no different to the sugar cane that we are used to hearing about, so despite the name isn’t any better or worse for you. I felt ok about 2 teaspoons, though, as this worked out to less than half a teaspoon each, well within the NHS guidelines of up to 5 teaspoons for children and 7 for adults. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that one jar provided each of us with one of our 5 a day before I even added any extra veg.

Dolmio Bolognese Ingredients

Batch Cooking

During the week, I also like to be able to cook enough to cater for work lunches the next day, mainly because I’m lazy and don’t want to have to prepare anything! Spaghetti Bolognese is ideal for batch cooking, and we had plenty left over for Mr C and I to take for lunch.

Chicken Chilli with Dolmio
Chicken Chilli served with Potato Wedges

In fact, I was able to make a ton of food using some very basic ingredients and 2 jars of Bolognese sauce. I made a spaghetti Bolognese (of course) for the family and some friends who happened to pop round at dinner time that day! I also made leftover spaghetti Bolognese muffins which we had on Saturday served with rice and salad. Wills was a particular fan of the muffins as they fit perfectly in his hand. As if that wasn’t enough, I was able to make a chicken chilli con carne using a jar of Bolognese sauce and cooked in the slow cooker, and I have to say it was a very good chilli! I served it with potato wedges, but rice would have been just as good too. You can find (and print) the recipes for all the meals I made below and here.

Dolmio Bolognese Muffins
Leftover Bolognese Muffins with Rice and Salad

All of the recipes I made were perfect meals for preparing quickly and easily after a long day at work and nursery, and were also great for portioning up and sticking in the fridge or freezer for lunches or for another day. I plan on giving myself a head start for returning to work by filling my freezer up with recipes like these, but I’m still nervous about keeping it up with it all!

I’d love to hear what everyone else does for dinner on a working day?

Dolmio Recipes

This post is an entry for the #Dolmio #ThankGoodness challenge, sponsored by Dolmio. All opinions expressed are, of course, my own!

Going Back To Work: Easy Midweek Recipes

25 thoughts on “Going Back To Work: Easy Midweek Recipes

• March 30, 2017 at 12:08 pm

What clever ways of using Dolmio! Those little muffins looks interesting too. As a working mum, anything that makes life easier is a winner for me. Thank you for sharing with the #DreamTeam x
    Annette, 3 Little Buttons recently posted…London. A Parents Thoughts.My Profile

• March 30, 2017 at 1:10 pm

I put a few in the freezer when I made them (the muffins that is) and they’ve been a god send this week since I’ve been back at work!x

• March 30, 2017 at 6:53 am

Me too!c

• March 27, 2017 at 5:13 pm

I am a fan of using jarred foods now and again providing they are not packed full of crap and its good to know these are not 🙂 I always use the jarred béchamel as my own is awful 🙂 These are some fab family favourite recipes. I do a roast veg once a week with chicken breasts rather than a whole chicken, sweet potato carrots, just roast loads of bits. I also like slow cook meals 🙂 Fab post. Thank you for linking to #stayclassymama xx

• March 27, 2017 at 8:38 pm

I’ll deffo be more likely to use these again knowing they’re not full of rubbish!!x

• March 24, 2017 at 10:54 pm

These look delicious, and super easy, healthy and convenient too. Definitely going to give these a try, especially on a work night! Thank you for sharing with #bigpinklink x

• March 24, 2017 at 10:55 pm

The muffins were a definite win all round! x

• March 24, 2017 at 7:58 am

They went down such a treat! X

• March 23, 2017 at 9:51 am

I didn’t realise they were without all the additives.I will have a look next time I’m shopping.This sounds really great!#bloggersclubuk

• March 22, 2017 at 7:30 pm

These are fab I am always after quick, easy and nutritious meals for the family! One to pin for later. #Marvmondays

• March 22, 2017 at 7:50 pm

The muffins went down a treat 😉 x

• Pingback: Back To Work: Full of Fear of Failing | Mummy Mama Mum

• March 20, 2017 at 10:25 pm

I’m so impressed with how many meals you got out of a couple of jars of Dolmio! We are big fans of Dolmio in our house and I usually buy a jar or two of theirs each month for spag bol or meatballs and spaghetti which the whole family loves. I’m going to be heading back to work in a couple of months too and am nervous about how I’ll keep up with it all too! Great post, thanks for sharing it on #MarvMondays. Emily

• March 21, 2017 at 7:10 am

It’s the first time we’ve used a jar of sauce in a very long time, but I was very impressed! I’m back to work on Monday (eeeek!) so I’m sure I’ll be relying on these bad boys to get me out of a couple of tight spots when it comes to dinner haha!!xx

• March 20, 2017 at 9:38 pm

Looks very yummy! I never use Dolmio but this could persuade me! #bigpinklink

• March 20, 2017 at 9:39 pm

Me neither to be honest, but I’ll admit I was very pleasantly surprised! I’m back to work next Monday so will now deffo beat them in mind when I get caught short for dinner options!!x

• March 20, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Ah those foods look so tasty and delicious! Making me hungry! #MarvMondays

• March 20, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Haha! Sorry! x

• March 20, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Bolognese muffins, WHAT?! I think I may be able to substitute the ingredients for allergy friendly ones too… Those may change my life, thanks! #bigpinklink

• March 20, 2017 at 1:16 pm

They were actually amazing! I’ve also made leftover chilli con carne muffins this weekend too..! I tried freezing them too and they were great defrosted and microwaved!x

• March 20, 2017 at 1:13 pm