January can be a really tough month, and as the end of the month (pay-daaaaaaaaay!) approaches I have been thinking a lot about happiness. It’s so easy to get bogged down with the shit parts of life, especially at this time of year. The high of Christmas has dissipated, the funds available in my bank have equally dissipated, the house is bare of all the sparkle that came with December (seriously, my face when the Christmas tree arrived!) and life is back to normal, monotonous days filled with washing, de-cluttering post Christmas, still trying to find homes for all the new toys that don’t involve making my house look like a pre-school on hallucinogenic drugs.

I have been spending a lot of time this month doing things like the family budget, meal planning, pre-spring cleaning, and dealing with sick kids. All of these things are totally necessary but totally boring. Pre-kids, when I was working full time and running a busy retail business, I always scheduled myself a day off on the day that the Christmas decorations were due to be taken down, simply because I knew that seeing them come down would be the first step to depressing the hell out of me and ruining January. Instead, I spent most of the month enjoying the quiet and dealing with business things that had been bugging me for the whole of December but that I had just been too busy to get around to. Making the most of the month helped to feel more positive.

These days it’s harder to switch off from the mundane, especially as I am still on maternity leave, so I don’t even have my part time job to distract me. So I have decided to try to document one thing in every day that makes me happy, for 28 days. A whole month of positive affirmations (cringe) of why life is good.

As it turns out, I definitely need a very specific set of new stationary in order to achieve my goal. Cue one happy thing for today; stationary shopping and designing! I will be posting my full 28 days on Saturday 18th February, so stay tuned!

In the meantime, here’s my first few days of happy;

21.1.17 – Weighing myself and losing 2lb (even after having a crappy week with a sick baby and treating myself to a Dominos lunch on Wednesday!)

22.1.17 – Exploring ice in the local park with Amelia. She was so enthralled with the frozen pond and seeing her little brain tick over as we looked at ice formations in the grass was priceless. To see something which is usually an irritating symptom of the cold winter months through a child’s eyes reminded me how amazing it is to help her explore and learn about the world every day (photos courtesy of Amelia’s great aunt).

23.1.17 – Wills is 6 months old today. Looking back over the last 6 months was a really good way to remind myself of the joys of motherhood, even if it doesn’t always feel joyful!

24.1.17 – Today was hard! Our bus to nursery got stuck in loads of traffic, getting the train home took forever because of yet more delays and cancellations, and Mr C is off work with a virus which totally threw me out of routine. BUT! I am designing some new stationary including a journal and diary which I hope to share with you when I post the conclusion to this challenge, and stationary makes me very, very happy!

UPDATE: YOU CAN NOW BUY THE 28 DAYS OF HAPPY JOURNAL HERE!

Cuddle Fairy
Diary of an imperfect mum
Mummuddlingthrough

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

28 Days of Happy| MummyMamaMum

14 thoughts on “28 Days of Happy| MummyMamaMum

• Pingback: 28 Days of Happy - COMPLETE! | Mummy Mama Mum

• February 7, 2017 at 4:11 pm

It’s lovely to keep a happiness journal. We are also still organizing toys post Christmas. Enjoy the rest of your maternity leave! Thank you for sharing with us at #BloggerClubUK x

• February 7, 2017 at 4:30 pm

It’s quite a challenge some days, I’ll admit! But proving worthwhile!
      Thanks for hosting a great link-up! X

• February 2, 2017 at 4:48 pm

Totally love this idea! I want to do something like this now, I have had a hard time this month and have seriously debated whether or not I am happy at my job or whether it’s because it’s January or because I have a beautiful 1 year old son at home! Whew that’s a mouthful, I feel like writing down a positive for every day would help me realise my priorities. I like your positive about the ice, I want to bring Bear to see an iced lake now! Thank you for the inspiration and sharing with #stayclassymama!

• February 2, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Jan really is a tough month.. and in general I’m a bit rubbish at only seeing the negatives in life, so this has really helped (even if I sometimes feel like a bit of a plum doing it!). And the ice was amazing – just getting down and looking at it closely was incredible, and seeing it through a child’s eyes was priceless x

• Pingback: StayClassyMama Link Party No. 44 |

• February 1, 2017 at 12:53 pm

I’m so off to check out this journal. I write down 3 happy things each day and love keeping a journal. A new one is always a happy thing! We’ve been spending a lot of time looking at ice and frost too, L is obsessed. #bloggerclubuk

• February 1, 2017 at 1:57 pm

I do love a bit of stationary haha!! The ice has been amazing hasn’t it (until the novelty wears off and it’s just bloody cold!!) thanks for stopping by x

• January 27, 2017 at 10:54 am

I love new stationery!! The first six months go fast when you look back don’t they? Each day can feel long at the time tho! lol Thank you for linking up with us at #BloggerClubUK

• February 1, 2017 at 8:06 pm

It’s nuts how quickly it goes! And me too, I was so excited when the proof arrived!! X

• January 26, 2017 at 9:53 pm

This is a great idea – I have been so fed up this January! It’s been a totally dull, skint sober month. I even broke my dry January promise this week as I was so god damn bored of it! You are right though – there are so many positives if you just look for them…
    Thanks for linking to #coolmumclub

• January 26, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Some days it’s more of a panicked search than a look haha, but yeah it feels like it’s working! Thanks for stopping by (and tweeting!) high five mama to mama!x